Pull Feed Content into WordPress
For the past year or so I’ve been using Automattic’s Syndication plugin to pull feed content into my WordPress plugin. Feeds that I designate are pulled in as posts using WordPress Cron. I decided while the plugin worked well for the most part, it wasn’t quite meeting my needs. This prompted me to build a new plugin called Feed Pull.
Here are some differences between the two plugins:
- Feed Pull is a plugin for pulling content out of XML feeds. Syndication has feed pulling as well as content pushing features.
- Feed Pull has a much friendlier feed management screen. Both Syndication and Feed Pull use the WordPress post edit, screen, however Feed Pull offers a much cleaner experience from the way options are presented to the instructions provided. At the moment Feed Pull does not have all the features of Syndication such as taxonomy and constant field mapping. However, Feed Pull probably has everything you need and is very extensible.
- Feed Pull has far superior error logging to Syndication.
- Feed Pull allows you to schedule content pulling in the future.
- Feed Pull allows you to do manual pulls using AJAX rather than a sometimes frustrating one-time cron job.
Feed Pull contributions are always welcome on Github.